LCMS - groupChromPeaks error

Hello,

I am using the LCMS preprocessing workflow and am having problems with groupChromPeaks. I have a dataset with samples, blanks and pools as classes (second column of metadata). Running groupChromPeaks using these classes and parameters below works well:

Method to use for grouping: PeakDensity
Bandwidth: 5.0
Minimum fraction of samples: 0.3
Minimum number of samples: 32 (blank+1)
Width of overlapping m/z slices: 0.001
Maximum number of groups to identify in a single m/z slice: 100
Reported intensity values: into

I wanted to use different classes. This time I used the treatment column as the class (2 treatments in total). I ran into the error:

Fatal error: Exit code 1 ()
Processing 157986 mz slices ... Error in if (!any(tt/sampleGroupTable[names(tt)] >= minFraction & tt >= :
missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
Calls: groupChromPeaks ... .local -> do_groupChromPeaks_density -> .group_peaks_density
Execution halted

Initially, I used these parameters:

Method to use for grouping: PeakDensity
Bandwidth: 5.0
Minimum fraction of samples: 0.5
Minimum number of samples: 8
Width of overlapping m/z slices: 0.01
Maximum number of groups to identify in a single m/z slice: 100
Reported intensity values: into

I have tried playing with these parameters a bit (increasing and decreasing bw and minFraction) but I still get the same error. For minimum number of samples, I put the number of samples of the class that has the lower number of samples.

Do you have any suggestion on what else I can try?

Clarification: For the pool and blank samples, I left the sampleClass empty, could this be causing the problem?

Thank you,
Rina

Hi Rina,

Since your design includes pools and blanks, how did you handle your class column once using the treatment groups? Did you leave the class column with empty cells for the pools' and blanks' lines in the metadata file? If it is the case, you may consider filling these lines with an approprite additional class (my advice would be to keep considering pools and blanks in separate classes but depending on your objectives you might also gather the two of them in a single class).

Mélanie

That was indeed my mistake. Thanks for the quick response!

No problem :slight_smile:

Have a nice trip on W4M!

Mélanie